1.15.2010

{companions} "sufferin succotash"

Who grew up with Sylvester and Tweetie???? Come on am I dating myself. I am a huge fan of Sylvester the cat who never seems to win. I always felt a little sorry for him ... although I didn't want him to eat Tweetie either. Well this catch phrase has been haunting me this week. Who knows why. I realized I don't really know what succotash is ... and then I had this crazy need to find out what it is and make it. What I know of traditional succotash is it is made with lima beans and corn. I changed it up a little bit. I wasn't sure if the kids would go for limas and I had a bag of edamame in my freezer. So here to you putty tat!

succotash by ann west

1/2 red onion chopped fine
1 slice bacon cut into small pieces
1/2 bag frozen corn (or fresh in season)
1/2 bag frozen edamame
1/2 red or yellow pepper chopped
salt & pepper
pinch of cayenne

In a bit of olive oil saute the bacon and the onion. Keep them going for quite some time until the onions caramelize. Toss in your corn, edamame, and peppers. Add salt and pepper to taste and a dash of cayenne if you like. I served this with some roasted chicken (from the grocery store), some oven roasted maple sweet potatoes and some blue cheese slaw.

I would love to have a real traditional recipe if anyone has one! hope you like.

2 comments:

KristenB said...

This looks and sounds DELICIOUS! I'm going to try this one for sure. Love Edamame!

amy said...

Ditto. Loving this recipe!! Amy