5.21.2010

{in the pot} first gazpacho




Gazpacho is truly the taste of summer. Zippy, fresh, healthy. You can taste the sun in each tomato.
With a dollop of cool sour cream and a crouton... it is the best!

Unfortunately I am the only one in my family that enjoys it!


Ok maybe lily will join me in spirit!
It is so simple.


I like dill or really any fresh herb to taste ... oooh and a tad of cumin.


Gazpacho by ann (& adapted from Ina Garten)

2 hot house cucumbers - halved and seeded
3 red bell peppers (I always use a yellow, orange and red)
8 plum tomatoes (I use what ever tomato looks the best! - but not grape tomatoes)
2 red onions (1 is plenty for us)
6 garlic cloves
6 cups tomato juice - not v8
1/2 cup white wine vinegar (I prefer red wine vinegar)
1/2 cup good olive oil
1 tbls kosher salt
ground pepper

Now I also add:
pinch of cayenne
pinch of cumin
fresh herbs like dill
squeeze of lemon juice too

Chop the cucumbers, peppers, tomatoes, garlic and onions into 1 in cubes and process separately in a food processor. Combine all the chopped ingredients in a bowl and mix in the tomato juice, vinegar, olive oil and seasonings. Mix well and chill for 6 hours or more. Top with sour cream and a parmesan crouton and you have a golden, fresh soup to enjoy!

cheers!

6 comments:

amy and ann said...

oh that looks good. I will have that with you one day! :)
amy

Maryline said...

You are lucky !
My dog doesn't want to wear her hat !!!
Thanks for the recipe...

Christina said...

it's all the fresh ingredients, that win me over, each time this is served. lovely photos. : )
yummy!

knack said...

totally want to make this.....and I guarantee I will be the only one on my house that likes it as well :)...

...I love your sweet doggie in the hat :)

xoxo

**WE BLOG ARTISTS** said...

Ann, I'm the only one who likes it in this house too!
And thank you...I have been in need of something fresh,light and healthy to add to my lunch recipes.
Have a great day!
Char

KristenB said...

I'll eat it!! =)