11.20.2009

{the dish} salmon croquettes

In Texas and Oklahoma we call them salmon cakes or patties... but I love to call them croquettes! I always try to keep some canned salmon on hand just for these lovely little treats. This is the meal that I prepare when I haven't been able to go to the store. We don't want to eat out. I use what I have. Tonight I paired them with a few leftover new-potatoes and some frozen diced sweet potatoes and some steamed spinach. Of course I like to whip up a little remoulade sauce. But a squeeze of lemon is great too. enjoy!

salmon croquettes by ann west

18 oz of canned or bagged salmon
3 green onions - or a little onion of any type will do
parsley chopped
1/4 cup mayo - you may need a little more
1/2 tsp or so of garlic powder
lemon juice
2 dashes of cayenne pepper
1 egg
1/4 cup bread crumbs
pepper

mix all of these ingredients together. Now for the fun part try adding in dill, capers, jalapenos... really whatever you like you can use. Saute the croquettes in a little olive oil until brown on both sides. Serve. My youngest likes a good saltine and ketchup with his - his own little crabby patty.


quick remoulade style sauce by ann west

mayo
tomato paste
ground mustard
salt & pepper
cayenne
horseradish

mix it together until you like the taste.
*For some great Thanksgiving meal ideas be sure to check out amy and ann's {thanksgiving series} over at i am a celiac and dollop for 5 days of great recipes to inspire your Thanksgiving meal.

4 comments:

amy and ann said...

oh i think my kids woul deven eat those! do yours? those look so easy adn good. happy friday! amy

Country Wings in Phoenix said...

Oh My Gosh...
I live in Phoenix, but am from Oklahoma, and boy did you ever give me back a memory. Moma used to make those all the time for us. Salmon patties for dinner. Gosh they were great, and I haven't had them in years. I am going to have to bring it back to the table. Thanks for the memories.

Have a great weekend. Please stop by soon. I so love to have the company. Country hugs...Sherry

We Blog Artists said...

sounds great...I'm a huge croquette fan and salmon is another favourite.
Have a Happy Thanksgiving!
Char

Joyce said...

Thanks girls for the wonderful recipes. Have a golden weekend. xo