9.04.2009

{companions} new mexican cornbread

photo by amy twomey

If I was told that I could only have one food for the rest of my life it would be a serious toss up between beans and cornbread. I am a huge fan of cornbread, who isn't right? I had to re-work and dig for amazing new recipes when I discovered I was Celiac and had to 100% commit to a gluten free diet for life. So, along with that came a new recipe for cornbread given to me by my Mom who makes this for my Dad who also is a Celiac. I love it. My friends who come over to eat love it. My kids love it. It is a recipe I now make for my family all the time and I hope it is a recipe that my children will one day make for their kids too. It is an easy to make, delicious-must-try.

amy

new mexican cornbread recipe by amy

1 can (14-16 oz.) cream style corn
1 ½ cups corn meal
1/3 cup butter, melted
1 teaspoon baking powder
2 eggs, slightly beaten
½ teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon honey
1 teaspoon salt (optional)
¾ cup milk
1 ½ cups grated cheddar cheese
1 can (4 oz.) chopped green chilis

In a large bowl, combine all ingredients except cheese and chilis. Mix well.
Pour half the batter into greased 9” square pan. Sprinkle with half the cheese and half the chilis.
Add the remaining batter and top with the rest of the cheese and chilis.

Bake at 400 degrees F for 30-45 min.
Cool slightly and serve warm.

5 comments:

amy and ann said...

amy - I love beans and cornbread too. I can't wait to try this one. I hope you post a wonderful bean recipe too! Love your photo again!
happy weekend and what a great first week!
ann

We Blog Artists said...

I LUURRRVVVEE cornbread too and have never made it at home, but have always wanted to!
Perfect, now I have a recipe.
Thanks Amy...great photo too by the way!
I agree with you Ann,your first week has been quite spectacular! I love visiting you guys daily.
Have a great weekend!!!!
Char.

Char said...

yes, i adore cornbread. i love it like this and sometimes throw in some jalapenos or some red bell pepper.

Shari Lidji said...

ok amy. now we really have to meet because i'm your beans and cornbread soul mate! once, when i was a kid, i ate b&c maybe four meals straight. i ended up doubled over on the sofa. it was worth it, because to me...there's nothing more delicious. did you ever add chopped dill pickles to yours?
i'll definitely be trying your cornbread. thanks.

amy and ann said...

Shari,
dill pickles? wow. i HAVE to try that! yum.